One of the things I love about living in a country with distinct seasons is how the food that we eat changes as we move from one season to the next. In summer it’s all about fruit, salads, seafood, barbecues and chilled rose wine, preferably enjoyed al fresco with the warm sun beating down. As the weather gets colder I start to crave richer and heavier foods like casseroles, lasagne (with or without the pasta), apple pie, and look forward to sipping hot chocolate or red wine in front of an open fire.
I’m sure my waistline would benefit from living in a warmer climate but my taste buds would definitely miss the autumnal fare. I am starting to draw up a list of recipes that I want to try this season but in the meantime this lemon and white chocolate cake is perfect for the Indian summer we’re having at the moment when it’s still warm enough to enjoy a cup of coffee and slice of cake out in the garden.
- 100 g butter
- 100 g white chocolate
- 2 egg
- 200 ml sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 250 ml plain flour
- Grated zest from one lemon and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Whisk the egg, vanilla extract and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy
- Melt the butter and stir in the chocolate. Add to the bowl
- Stir in the flour, lemon zest and juice
- Pour the batter into a greased loose base cake tin
- Bake for 15-20 minutes in the middle of the oven at 200 degrees
- Sift over some icing sugar and serve with raspberries and whipped cream