For Clemmie’s birthday party last weekend I made a gluten free chocolate cake in lieu of a traditional birthday cake so that my husband, who suffers from coeliac disease, could have a slice too. The cake turned out really well – nice and gooey on the inside – and tasted delicious with fresh strawberries and vanilla ice cream.
- 100 g margarine or butter
- 3 eggs
- 250 g caster sugar
- 90 g gluten free flour
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
1. Melt the butter or margarine over a low heat and let it cool
2. Whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla essence until light and fluffy
3. Combine the gluten free flour and cocoa powder in a separate bowl and carefully fold into the sugar and egg mixture
4. Add the melted butter or margarine and stir to combine
5. Grease a springform cake tin and coat it with cocoa powder before pouring in the batter
6. Bake in the oven at 150°C for 25-30 minutes.